Sunday, September 18, 2005

It's Time For Biblemaniacs!

I really don't like that name...but until we can come up with something better...I will continue to use it. The good thing is, my SP is not "married" to the name and it can be changed.

We use the Workshop Rotation Model (WoRM) and it was one of the things that drew me here 3 years ago. I had heard of it while in Indiana and LOVED the concept, the creativity, the not having teachers sign their life away for a whole year, etc. We use a curriuculum and from time to time I gop ahead and write my own lesson because I don't their choices for the topic.

This year the overall theme is "Messiah," and this month the kids are looking at David through art and the Psalms, through "fun," (games like an obstacle course and trying to hit a target as tall as Goliath with a nylon knee-high and a wiffle ball) and through food (pizza maps). The stories/concepts do stay with the kids. After they are excused from the service (after the SP's Children's Message) and we meet in Mission Hall I ask them what they have learned, what they know, etc. It has been so encouraging to hear even the 5 year olds tell me what thye have learned! I love our teachers!

I wish I could see the "Soul Kitchen" today. Making a map of the Divided Kingdom out of pizza ingredients should be interesting. It is the older group this week. I have the younger kids in the "Creation Station." We talk about the Pslams attributed to David and then they take watercolor paper and paint it. Afterward they take a portion of a Psalm on acetate and frame it. Hard to describe...I need to take a picture of a finished project. I NEED to keep my camera here!

I am off to make copies, chop veggies for the pizzas and go over the lesson for Children's Church!

No comments: