Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Join the Circus Like You Wanted to, When You Were a Kid...


The circus opens tonight at the HP! The last two days I have been walking from the employee entrance to the offices so I have to walk through the Zamboni vom area and have been able to see props, etc. for this year's show. I may not get to see much, but I am sooooooooo excited! I think it is going to be a lot of fun for those who will be there as guests.

It is going to be strange to not usher at any of the shows. It is strange when I don't usher at all! The last time I donned my blue coat was for Coldplay. Chances are, the only time I will next month is for the gymnastics tour where they have put me in the Event Office. Sigh... I really wanted to be a "normal" usher doing a "normal" job. I mean it IS a normal job...but not like an aisle, the doors, etc.

Last year someone said to me they wished at times we could just be "normal" ushers again. I told her that time for us passed quickly and it will never be the same for us again. It has been very true...even more so for me right now. And, while I do miss just hanging out with the other ushers, I love what I am doing. I don't care if it's the "definition of entry level." I think it something I can be really good at doing, but some of that does mean being a "plain 'ol usher." Before I left yesterday I was taking to Janice (a sup who also does scheduling) about loving what I do and that part of what helps me in positioning is being with ushers, working with ushers and hearing the sups in the Event Office talking about ushers. The more I am dressed in normal business stuff, the less I will know and be able to see who would do well where.

I was telling Rob that I am so afraid I am going to blow this. Enjoying it, thinking I can be good at it, etc. is a figment of my imaginiation and that it won't last because I am me. The word "deserves" comes into it a lot. He says I have the opposite problems of some. While there are those who think they deserve evrything and have a huge sense of entitlement I am the opposite. I don't think I deserve anything good and am entitled to nothing!

I'll get to the HP today and hit the ground running to get everything on our end ready. I cannot wait for the doors to open and watch the kids as they come in the doors and see what Barnum * Bailey Ringlinf Bros. has in store for them!

1 comment:

Friar Tuck said...

Glad you are doing so well.