Thursday, February 02, 2006

The New Food Plan

I saw Toni yesterday and she has had me keep a food journal. I hate it. I look at it and it seems like so much. She told me that no...it wasn't close. I can usually rattle off what I eat, but she wanted to see where it was lacking (not calorie wise because we know that...but actual food groups. Being the weirdo I am...it is fruit.

Fruit???!!!??? I know. I like fruit. I really do. Berries, mango, apples, pineapple, kiwi...I live in CA...we have great fruit! But, ask me to choose between a cucumber and an apple...I'll often go for the veggies.

So, in the next couple weeks I need to add a fruit, start taking a multi-vitamin and eat a meal between 11 AM and 2 PM. I am wating to hear back if that is a full meal or an "eating episode."

The one thing this has done has made me way calorie conscious. I used to know the content of anything I let pass through my lips...but have given that up for the ost part. Some things I still know...must I don't. So, I became a huge label reader last night. This is the "sick" part. I had a grilled tuna sandwich on wheat and a salad. Guess how many calories??? THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE!!! The healthy part of me says that 325 is actually on the low side for dinner especially when the only other thing I had was a non-fat white mocha all day. The ED part of me says I can no longer use mayo if I make tuna. I need to use mustard or honey mustard. No cheese (I only used it because I grilled the bread), no more grilling and no more "regular" dressing. How many calories can I cut?

Very eye opening and very helpful to see that. Now comes the choice. Do I make the sandwich I want or the one I "should" have?

1 comment:

Mel said...

Do what is healthier for you (which is the one with more calories). I know that's probably not the answer you want, but it's the one you are getting. Tough love