Tuesday, November 29, 2005

ARGH!

Let me state first that I love my church and I really do like and respect (and in some cases love) our Session. They have been a true blessing for me and I love our Children/Youth Ministry Elder.

BUT...

My Nursery Procedure Manual/Youth & Children application procedure was voted DOWN. Much of session gets why we are doing this and why we need to do background checks, etc. However, there are some who do not get WHY we need to protect our kids and our church. Then, as this would also affect Communidad Latinoamericana we have to rethink because some of them are here illegally. Don't even get me started on that one.

So, it is back to the discussion board next week and we'll see what happens from there. I guess it all could be passed through other than the background checks.

My SP was surprised. I am not 100% because this is a new thing and most of the people caring for our children/youth have been here longer than I have and longer tham our SP. I told him it could be controversial and he didn't believe me.

I really hope & pray it can get worked out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I was in a church once that had no policy in place... and one woman who had been Sunday school teacher for junior high and younger for over twenty years was convicted and put in prison for child sexual abuse from her daycare home business.

The Church of God movement now requires the background check/application process for all churches. That is the only safe thng to do!

Brian Vinson said...

It sure is a pain when the church doesn't understand why we have to put policies in place. You know that if, heaven forbid, something did happen, they'd be the first ones on your case, too. grrrrrr.