Friday, August 12, 2005

Starved II




I'm still not sure what I think about it. Last night they got a lot of stuff right. It makes sense because the creator of the series has battled "food issues," and I have to admit, when two characters were discussing colonics and the cop made a comment about not wanting to hear about (and believe me...I NEVER use the first word so I am kinda embarrassed to type it) "ass bulimia" I cracked up. I honestly thought it was hysterical. The fact that one of the characters lost three pounds after the procedure was a little triggering (though it makes sense that would happen) and made me wonder what one would cost.

The scene with the woman and her two dads was also very true to eating diorders. Her one dad made a comment about her weight (she is so NOT fat by any stretch of the imagination) and she told him she could lose the weight and be thin enough for the hospital for next year's b-day gift.

The cop was alone, making dinner for two and then purged. Yup...I have had many the solitary meal (for one) and done the same exact thing...though I nevers et the table with flowers, etc.

"Starved" seems to make more fun of the dysfunction that CAUSED the EDs rather than the EDs themselves, but showing the purging is really not something anyone needs a visual for and having "belttighteners" as a shame based support group (the aversion therapy scene was funny and sad at the same time) is a really bad idea...IMHO.

No comments: