Friday, August 05, 2005

"Starved"


I debated whether I was going to post anything about the show on FX. I have been dreading the series premiere for weeks, but have enough of an open mind that I wanted to give it a fair shot.

Language and ED stuff aside...I thought the writing was awful and the characters are people I would probably not want to be frineds with.

As for the actual ED aspects of the show...it was probably the support group scenes that made me cringe the most. Not so much the "It's not OK" mantra that is shouted as each person shares his/her failure...but the comment about shame being a method of help/support. There is so much shame with the disease as is...and to see these scenes where shaming a person into recovery is a scary proposition.

However, there were actually some things that to me were very accurate:

--the detergent on the cakes

--the weighing yourself before and after using the bathroom in the AM

--the measuring tape

And, I admit, until the cop purged in the alley, the scene where he pulled the Chinese food delivery guy over on his bike was really funny. I saw it coming, but I think it does speak to the lengths some have and will go to to be able to binge and purge.

Will I watch it again? I'm not sure. Should it be pulled off the air...yes, but I think because of the show's quality rather than the content.

No comments: