Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Kids Club...


About a year ago, my SP and I were approached by Church Resource Network about starting an after school Kids Club at the local elementary school. He and I had been talking about outreach and this was perfect! A few months later...we started and had a good few months.

San Jose Unified closed school...AGAIN...and the population of our school doubled so we knew that we wouldn't be starting Kids Club right away which was fine...I have been having a really hard time recruiting anyone! People work so it's hard to find those who are available at 2:45 PM once a week!

Yesterday, I found out that Trace does not have room for us. Truly, I do not see this as a bad thing. One of my leaders has some stuff going on at home and she is one of the Jr. High leaders to boot and that keeps her busy. My other leader may end up losing her job with the whole Hewlett Packard downsizing and I have enough to deal with! The GOOD thing is we have a relationship with the principal so there are other ways we can serve that school.

Before she became principal at Trace she was the principal of the school directly across the street and members of our church volunteered in the classroom and the library. I see us reaching out in that way again. Plus, as long as we get district approval, we can send Trunk & Treat flyers home with the kids as well as other events AND their choir sings at the community Christmas Tree Lighting for our neighborhood.

The lack of volunteers? The one thing I have to say about our members is they take the Great Commission as a suggestion and it isn't real in their lives. I know that is a goal for the coming year(s) to get our members to not just think globally (we do a GREAT job with overseas and some local missionaries), but to think about those in their own lives and in our community.

Okay, off to finish some manual rewrites and get October curriculum ready!

No comments: