Friday, September 23, 2005

Only a Few More Days!!!



In a few short days I will be headed to Sacramento to be a volunteer at the National Youth Worker's Convention! After being turned down three years in a row...I finally get to make a return! The last time I was at a convention was 2001 in Dallas!

I remember my first convention. It was in San Diego and I was allowed to go (the only volunteer my church ever sent while I was there) with the paid staff as a kind of "reward" for bending to their will. Basically, I was directing a play at another church and it did NOT interfere with my duties as a volunteer at my church and the Pastor of Christian Ed. and thr youth staff were ticked. So, I had to either step down at the Crystal Cathedral or quit directing the play. I quit and they rewarded me by sending me to NYWC with the paid staff and our new YP.

We got there a little late...just as the first main session was starting. But, like it was yesterday, I can still remember Yac's entrance. He was carried in as if he was Cleopatra (okay...he was a man...but you get the picture) and then he went into the "usual" opening spiel that I have NEVER tired of. Prior to 2001, the last NYWC I had attended was 1997 and it was so nice to hear those familiar words!

After that year I was hooked and managed to scrimp, save and ask for registration costs as a B-day present for the next few years. 1997 turned out to be my last convention as I started my first job as a 1/4 time Youth Director, my first foray into volunteer Children's Ministry and my first stint at Remuda Ranch. When I moved to Indiana...the first thing I aksed about was NYWC and they gladly shipped me off to Dallas!

I know it will be a different ball game this time. I wouldn't have volunteered otherwise. But, I think I am at a place in my life where I want to find some way to give back to the other youth workers attending. Okay, getting to probably see some friends is a great pull as well...and oh my gosh I hope I get to see Les Christie...but that is not my motivation.

I have been trying to wrap up everything here and other than some copies of lessons I am done. Sunday I need to do our last Children's Church lesson (then my Elder will take over for a bit. Truth be told...she loves to teach and using the DVD it's not the same for her!) and after church do a Biblemaniacs Oreintation for October and I am set. Come home, do laundry, put gas in the car and on Monday go see Rob and leave right from his office. I am really hoping I get to bring Frederick with me. I emailed Rob and asked, but I haven't heard back.

I think another positive is my SP is okay with me doing this...that he feels confident enough with what I am doing here right now that this is a positive thing for me. It is my vacation time so he can't tell me what I can or can't do on said vacation...but I am really happy is good with me doing this!

Foe those going to Sacramento...track me down! I'd love to meet you!

1 comment:

Len said...

have fun for me! :-)