Saturday, January 17, 2004

The 80s....

blogger_idol-1.gif

I am going to try this out and see what happens!

The 80s covers 5th grade through first semester my senior in college...from 10 to 20. I remember being at my grandmother's New Year's Eve that year waiting until misnight when I could hang up the 1980 calendar. That was the year I also broke my leg in three places! Fun, fun!

But, I think it comes down for two or three things for me in the 80s...TOYS, MUSIC and TRAUMATIC EVENTS!

Toys...

By far my favorite was Strawberry Shortcake! To this day, someplace in my mom's house I have the original dolls in theor Berry Carrying Case, the picnic set, Strawberry Shortcake's house AND the bakery! My friends and I could play for hours, pretending to bake pies, serve them to each other with the little plastic whipped cream piece. Forget the 1980 election, forgot the hostages...go Shortcake! Granted, I was 10, but it bugs me how unaware I was for the most part.

The Smurfs was the other biggie. Yeah, I was in Jr. High and all...but I think it was a girl thing!

The Music..

From Air Supply to Amy Grant...Depeche Mose to Wham! to Debbie Gibson to Tears for Fears to The Smiths and The Cure to Bobby Brown...my music tastes have always been all over the place. Having grown up on "Adult Contemporary" KLOK in San Jose...it was mainly Air Suppluy, Barry Manillow, Neil Diamond, etc. They turned into J. Geils, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, The Police, Styx, Journey...the memories! Augh... Having "Open Arms" as "our song" with my boyfriend in 7th grade, thinking Styx's "Kilroy was Here" as the greatest concept album ever (ummm...."Tommy" anyone?)...

Now I LIVE for the 80s weekends on the radio. Cheesy bubblegum pop and all. I don't think I could have it any other way. As I always say...I am an 80s kid and proud of it!!!! From the music to the movies that made the music...bring it on!

I could have done without the trauma-drama though. My mom tried to off herself for the second time in her life, I was molested and tried my own lame attempt and my battle with an eating disorder began.

I look at all this and I think the 80s played a HUGE part of what I am now. The cultural influences, influences of my friends, my neighbors, becoming a Christian during this period...if it weren't for the weirdness of the "Greed is Good" 80s...who knows what I would have buried myself in to escape.

I look upon the 80s fondly...except the whole flourescent clothing thing. I like pink...but I think that fad carried it a bit to far. The leg warmer look, the off the shoulder "Flashdance" look...please let us not go back their fasion-wise...but remember the good times the 80s brought us!

No comments: